Undoing Racism In Bridgeport Meeting
**UPDATE: Please note this meeting is rescheduled from Thursday, 1/4 to Thursday, 1/18 due to the approaching snowstorm.**
Please join us for our January Meeting. Discussion items include:
1) Discussion of Chapter 1 of “Stamped From The Beginning” by Ibram X. Kendi. PM Calabria Gale Heilmann to receive your copy.
2) Discussion of “Assimilationist” speech and messages you’ve witnessed between our last meeting and this one. According to Kendi, “Assimilationists” are people/institutions who believe that Black people’s inferiority AND racial discrimination are to blame for racial disparities.
3) What does an anti-racist space look and feel like? What are the values, intentions, and agreements for this group?
Undoing Racism In Bridgeport is dedicated to anti-racist teachings and learning. We are a diverse group of people who gather monthly. Our work is centered on the People’s Institute for Surival & Beyond’s (PISAB) “Undoing Racism” training and organizing model.
We are a learning community. We learn together through readings and open discussions at our meetings. We are committed to action locally in the Bridgeport region.
The PISAB Organizing Wheel:
The PISAB Principles: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwTeBfJuSmJYTWNYd3NUUXJJbHM/view?usp=sharing
What is the purpose of the group and goals for 2018?:
– Value of space for study, research and discussion
– A place to continue anti-racist learning and skill-building
– Develop anti-racist values and personal action plans
– Connecting to “action” groups, like CTCORE, Make The Road and Generation Now
– Being both a space for information and for action
To stay in touch and receive weekly roundups of “Anti-Racist Events” in the area, please request to join our Google Group here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/undoing-racism-in-bridgeport
We meet the 1st Thursday of every month from 6-8pm at Make The Road CT. We hope you’ll join us for our next meeting, as we continue our anti-racist learning and journey together here in Bridgeport.